Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Granduation

I'm on vacation – but will post some of my poetry when I get an opportunity. Today I'm leaving the readers with two poems I wrote for a niece when she graduated with her undergraduate degree and one when she recently graduated with her masters. This is for all of those who are graduating these next few weeks. In fact I will be attending my oldest grandchilds graduation this week. A very important occassion for my family.

Star Watcher

(In honor of my niece Marcella Gilbert for her college graduation)


I am Star Watcher
daughter of Rides the Wind

Who looks to the stars
to guide my heart

The stars they say
are the holy speech of Tunkasila

If your heart is pure
and your vision is strong

The way of life will come to you
at night in the dream world

Or in the early morning
when you first awake

The possibilities are endless
to those who dare

Swim out into the channels
that flow by

I am Star Watcher
daughter of Rides the Wind

I dare to watch the stars
and listen for the way

I have gone far from home but I know
the path of my returning for

I let the stars guide me
I am Star Watcher

(Lakota translation - Tunkasila : The Creator of all Things)


Honors

(for my niece Marcella Gilbert for
Attaining a Masters of Science in Nutrition)

The old Lakota saying
"the honor of one is the honor of all"
is in the song we sing today
for our daughter

this daughter
who has traveled many, many miles
towards goals that were as high
as the highest mountains

she's traveled
this road with the
same determination of the
old grandmothers
who knew they had to
learn new skills
so we could live

her vision
for her future was sure
it was connected
to the future of our people
she knew
this was the way
she could help

now our
family sings an honor song
for a medicine woman
who knows the secrets
of our food

the secrets
we need so our people and nation
will live

our daughter
has brought many honors
but for me
it’s the love she gives
that warms me

Mary Lee Johns
December 5, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment